Sentence Building Worksheets & Printables
Our printable building sentences worksheets are perfect for elementary school students. They will practice in compound sentences, generate ideas, and organize their thoughts. Building sentences is an essential skill which will help to achieve a better essay writing in the future.
- Beginning writers can be prompted to create sentences by answering the questions, “Who is it and what did he/she do?”; this provides an introduction to subjects and predicates.
- Younger students can learn to write statements and questions; this may be rehearsed orally then transferred to writing.
- Use sentence stems to help students practice building sentences; for example, provide the stem, “On the weekend, I…” or “If I was an adult, I would…”.
- Teach students to write more interesting sentences by introducing them to adjectives and adverbs to make their writing more descriptive; provide students with pictures or objects to describe, using complete sentences.
- Learning how to build sentences will help discourage the use of sentence fragments and run-on sentences.
- More proficient writers can learn the difference between simple, compound, complex, and compound-complex sentences.
- Building sentences requires the correct use of punctuation and uppercase letters.
- Sentence construction is an essential skill in writing forms, including narrative, persuasive, and expository writing.