Grammar Worksheets & Printables
Use these free, printable grammar worksheets to learn the fundamental grammar skills. Grammar is a key concept that helps students with important skills in reading and writing.
- Use games to make learning grammar skills enjoyable; for example, use Mad Libs to teach parts of speech.
- Incorporate grammar lessons into writing activities; choose a focus such as using conjunctions, active voice, or tenses (e.g., past, present, and future).U
- Use mentor texts to model grammar skills you are targeting; consider using books, newspaper articles, advertisements, letters, and music lyrics; use real-life examples to make grammar lessons authentic.
- Teach grammar recursively; don’t assume that after one lesson, students have mastered a skill; revisit previously taught grammar skills and provide students with opportunities for independent practice.
- Use anchor charts and post student work to make learning about grammar visible.
- There are many grammar skills students learn, depending on their age; skills can be practiced in writing and orally.
- Parts of speech include nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, prepositions, conjunctions, and interjections.
- Sentence structure includes learning about subjects and verbs and using them to form complete thoughts; help students understand what run-on sentences and sentence fragments are.
- Teach clauses and phrases to deepen students’ understanding of sentence structure.
- Teach singular and plural nouns and pronouns.
- Support students with writing and speaking in past, present, and future tense and to distinguish between active and passive voice.