Phonics Worksheets & Printables
Our phonics worksheets cover a variety of topics including short and long vowels, digraphs and blends for a different age. To get the learning experience more enjoyable we designed hands-on activities for your child. Kids will love to play fun games, solve puzzles and find that learning is so much fun.
- Use magnetic letters to reinforce letter sounds and have students build words; introduce words families such as “at” and “it” using magnetic letters.
- Use pictures to reference sounds and help students remember them; for example a picture of a thumb can help students recall the “th” sound.
- Create a literacy-rich environment and surround your students with books they can read; read aloud to your students and include shared and guided reading and writing experiences.
- Use poems and rhymes to teach letter sounds and patterns; read aloud and encourage students to chime in.
- Beginning phonics skills include naming letters, recognizing sounds, rhyming, identifying initial letter sounds in words, and blending sounds to create small words.
- Later, students learn skills such as segmenting sounds, consolidating short and long vowel sounds, sounding out multisyllabic words, and using prefixes and suffixes.
- Phonics instruction includes teaching rules such as silent ‘e,’ ‘r’ controlled vowels, and vowel teams like ‘ea’ and ‘oa’.
- Students learn letter patterns that will support both their reading and writing skills.